Please review the tips and respond to the prompt below in writing that is thoughtful, clear, creative, and most of all true to who you are.
A few tips
- Construct a personal statement that is thoughtful, clear, and creative
- Answer the prompt in your own authentic voice, help us get to know you
- Focus less on your accomplishments and credentials and more on sharing who you are, why you want to join UH, and how you will contribute to UH
- Do not use search engines or artificial intelligence to generate your response, we want to get to know you and your voice uniquely
- Allow time for multiple revisions/proofs (from self and others)
- Your personal statement should be between 350 and 550 words in length
Before you write your statement, watch this video for additional application tips from the University Honors Student Association President.
Tell us why it is important to you to join our community. Then tell us about something (an experience, a relationship, etc.) that helps us get to know you and how you might contribute to building a strong University Honors community.
Double-spaced 12 pt. font, format with one-inch margins on all four sides.
At the top of your personal statement include the personal information requested below:
- Your name
- Mailing address (Street, City, State, Zip Code)
- Telephone number
- E-mail address
- UMD student ID number (if known)
- Intended major (or Undecided if uncertain)
- Semester-Year you wish to begin participating in UH
455 A.B. Anderson Hall, Department of Communication
1121 University Drive
University of Minnesota Duluth
Duluth, MN 55812