Welcome to Aisthesis
Established in 2008, Aisthesis is an interdisciplinary honors journal published annually by the University Honors program at University of Minnesota Duluth. Our goal is to create and share a compilation of compelling scholarship completed by students in University honors programs nationwide. We define scholarship broadly to include original research in any academic field of inquiry, creative expression projects or accomplishments, integration of old ideas in novel ways, or application of knowledge in new areas. We welcome submissions that broaden our understanding of any academic issue, challenge us to see the world from another perspective, inspire us to pursue new lines of inquiry, or challenge traditional discipline and genre boundaries.
Aisthesis is a journal for and by undergraduate honors students. In UMD's University Honors Advanced Writing course, the student editorial board plans and executes each phase of the publishing process. Production of the journal occurs within the context of the course. Submissions are blind peer-reviewed by other honors students, and feedback from discipline-specific faculty members is considered to make final decisions on publication.
What’s in it for you?
- Fortify your resume
- Strengthen your graduate school application
- Set yourself apart with unique publishing experience
- Contribute to your field
What’s in it for us at Aisthesis?
Our goal at Aisthesis is to create and share an honors-focused compilation of compelling scholarly and creative works. We seek submissions that broaden our understanding of an issue, challenge us to see the world from another perspective, and inspire us to pursue new lines of inquiry.
- Authors must be undergraduate honors students enrolled in a university-level honors program or college. Honors alumni who have graduated no more than a year ago are also eligible to submit their work.
- Previously published work will not be reviewed by the Aisthesis editorial board. Simultaneous submissions are welcome; however, if your work has been accepted elsewhere, please withdraw your submission by emailing [email protected].
- At maximum, each author can submit up to (1) academic submission and (1) creative submission per year to Aisthesis. If you are submitting one of each, please submit them separately through the website.
Academic Submissions: As an interdisciplinary publication, we welcome academic work, including honors capstone projects, literature reviews, and research articles from all fields of research. Word count: All academic submissions must be less than 5000 words, excluding the references page and figures.
Creative Submissions: Creative submissions of nonfiction, fiction, poetry, and visual art (including but not limited to painting, sculpture, short film, multimedia, and photography) are also encouraged from any undergraduate student enrolled in a university honors program. Word count for creative submissions: Creative nonfiction and fiction submissions must be less than 5000 words. If you are submitting poetry, please submit no more than five poems. For visual artists only: Please submit a brief artist statement (150-300 words) that notes the title of your work, the methods and materials used, and the year of creation. The statement should also briefly describe the work's central themes, tensions, and/or explorations.
For submission instructions, please visit our website at https://pubs.lib.umn.edu/index.php/aisthesis/submissionguidelines